Environmental Scientist-Project Lead
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Regional Program Manager
Environmental consulting firm is seeking a well-rounded staff scientist with at least 3 years of experience for projects in support of various environmental programs including SPCC, spill response, waste management, and air compliance. This position will perform responsible, and often independent, technical and administrative tasks in support of client specific environmental compliance action items.
- Interpret, consult and apply local, tribal, state, and federal regulations regarding principles and practices of environmental compliance.
- Provide technical expertise for SPCC services including plan preparation, inspection and documentation.
- Generate waste profiles for various waste streams.
- Generate and submit annual state reporting forms.
- Track waste approvals, generator information, hauling records, and disposal quantities.
- Assist in the preparation of permitting applications for air compliance.
- Conduct site inspections, monitoring, and data management for regulatory and environmental compliance projects in accordance with applicable regulations.
- Conduct field sampling of soil, surface water, and groundwater.
- Interact with government agencies on behalf of clients and HRL.
- Input, manage, and utilize inspection and other data (e.g. Geographic Information System (GIS) and communications using Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Maintain project/client files and records.
- Conduct and represent HRL Compliance at meetings with clients and subcontractors.
- Adhere to and support company policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge and understanding of environmental regulations including but not limited to SPCC, RCRA, CAA, CWA, ESA, NMED-AQB, OCD and BLM.
- Ability to communicate well with others in fast paced and potentially demanding circumstances.
- Solid understanding of sampling protocols and techniques in accordance with EPA or state standards.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with strong professional writing skills.
- Detail oriented and strong organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet client deliverables.
- Excellent interpersonal communication ability with clients, staff and regulatory agencies.
- Sound documentation, recordkeeping, and problem solving skills.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently and prioritize tasks.
- Strong map reading skills.
- Ability to travel to remote sites in extreme weather utilizing a company vehicle.
- Position is primarily completed in the field and will require periods of extended walking, hiking, and standing in uneven, rocky terrain.
- Exposure to extreme weather including heat, cold, wind, and rain.
- Some overnight travel may be required.
- Long periods of driving from office to various sites will be necessary.
Education and Experience:
- B.S in Environmental Science or related science discipline with at least 3 years of experience.
- 40 Hour Hazwoper, OSHA 10 Hour, First Aid and CPR training preferred.
- IR Camera certification helpful.
- Clean driving record, valid driver’s license;
- Ability to pass pre-employment, random, and post-accident drug screening as applicable;
- Ability to pass background screening as applicable.
Join Our Team
- Full benefits to include medical, dental, vision, 401K, LTD/STD, Life Insurance, PTO
- Hourly wage $21-$24/hour DOE plus overtime as applicable
- Bonus eligible
- Team oriented, family friendly culture
HRL Compliance Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace Act participant.
***Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the above tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all of the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.