Staff Environmental Scientist
Staff Environmental Scientist
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Environmental Project/Program Manager
Environmental consulting firm is looking for an Environmental Scientist in the programs of spill response, remediation/bioremediation, water quality, chemical inventory management (Tier II), and waste management. This position will provide field and technical assistance related to a variety of complex or unique assignments primarily for clients in the oil and gas industry.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Under supervision apply beginner to intermediate procedures and technique to assignments in accordance with local, state and federal regulations.
- Generate waste profiles and coordinate with numerous landfills and the DEP.
- Conduct field sampling utilizing company protocol and procedures compliant with EPA standards.
- Generate and submit annual state reporting forms.
- Track waste approvals, generator information, hauling records and disposal quantities.
- Assist in responding to various types of spills/releases.
- Groundwater sampling via submersible pump, bailer, or devoted pump.
- Surface water sampling in accordance with local, state, and EPA protocol.
- Assist with providing remediation and waste disposal oversight to contractors.
- Complete tasks associated with bioremediation application and maintenance.
- Responsible for project file compilation, record keeping, summary reports, data entry, and weekly status reports.
- Communicate with clients, staff members, regulatory agency personnel, and contractors in a professional and concise manner.
- Submittal of analytical results via on-line electronic data delivery (EDD) system.
- Adhere to and support company policies and procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of oil and gas terminology, principles, and various operations and equipment used in responding to spills and waste management projects.
- Knowledgeable with local, state and EPA regulations and ability to learn new/changing regulations
- Demonstrated experience in spill response and remediation.
- Understands and is familiar with bioremediation principals and the ability to apply knowledge in the field.
- Waste management background is desired with the knowledge to identify, classify, and characterize waste streams.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software; Ability to create and manage spreadsheets along with strong technical writing ability.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks and meet client deliverables.
- Must be equipped with the ability to take proper scientific field notes and documentation.
- Excellent documentation, recordkeeping and problem solving skills.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of proper soil, ground water, and surface water sampling techniques in accordance with EPA standards.
- Familiar with soil and water field instruments for field analysis
- Position is 60% in the field and 40% in the office and requires periods of walking and standing in uneven, rocky terrain. Exposure to wind, rain, snow and other elements as well as long periods of daily out of town and state travel.
- 40 Hour HAZWOPER with current 8-hr refresher (preferred)
- Current Department of Transportation (DOT) Hazardous Waste Shipper certification (Preferred)
- OSHA 10 Hour (Preferred)
- First Aid & CPR (Preferred)
- Valid CO driver’s license with clean driving record and ability to travel to remote sites in extreme weather using company vehicle (Required)
- Ability to work long hours when necessary.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with multiple on-going projects
- Ability to pass pre-employment, random, and post accident drug screenings as applicable
- Minimum qualifications include a B.S in Environmental Science/Restoration with at least 1-2 years demonstrated relevant experience.
Join Our Team
- Pay range $18-22/hour plus overtime as applicable.
- Bonus eligible
- Full Benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD/STD, and 401K, and PTO
- Team and Family Oriented Environment
To view our current job openings and submit your application with cover letter and resume, please visit us at www.hrlcomp.com/careers
HRL Compliance Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and a Drug/Alcohol Free Workplace Act participant
***Essential functions, as defined under the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the above tasks, knowledge, skills and other characteristics. This list of tasks is illustrative ONLY, and is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions in this class. It does not imply that all positions within the class perform all the duties listed, nor does it necessarily list all possible duties that may be assigned.